Start a new topic

Able to bypass the VPN with no alert/warning

Hi Folks,

On my iPad, I have the family zone app installed and when on 3G/4G it uses the VPN successfully, we also have the Family Zone box here at home, so when at home it doesn't use the VPN.

However, I have found an easy way to bypass the family zone VPN - for my work I utilise another VPN - so I have two VPN profiles present in settings/VPN - one for Mobile Zone VPN and another which was easily setup through another VPN client.

If I simply select the other VPN profile in settings-VPN, without needing to actually connect to it, the Family Zone VPN is bypassed.  Obviously if I disable Wifi and then do the same, I can also bypass the box as well.

This works no matter what profile I'm on or time of day, and I see no alert or other warning about it.

Is there any way you can detect/manage that?

Hi Evan,

We do send notifications to parents warning them if the device has not been seen for a certain amount of time, or if we detect other unusual activity.

We have tested scenarios like this and can suggest a few ways of managing VPN access. For example, we can block the other VPN by  identifying its VPN traffic on the Box. It would require for you to be on the phone with one of our customer service representatives at the time so we can assess it in real-time. To schedule a call with our support team, you can do it through our contact us page.

Roze

Thanks Roze.  Given it's easy to switch the VPN profiles on and off, a time limit won't help identify it (unless you forget to switch it back).

Given that I need to use the VPN at certain times, blocking it is not ideal either.  HOWEVER, I don't need to actually CONNECT the other VPN (i.e. there is no "VPN" icon shown in the top left).  I only need to deselect the Family Zone VPN entry in settings and then I seem to have clear access.  

I'll schedule a support call to discuss further...

Thanks,
Evan

Hi Roze, also note that my scenario is not just through the box.  It's on a 3/4G device.

Thanks,
Evan

Hi Evan,

It would heavily depend on how the other VPN is connecting. If this was through our App, our VPN is designed to ping back on if we detect its been toggled off. Through the Box it would be a different story.

Hope our support team will be able to shed some more light on this and have it configured to your liking.

Roze

Login to post a comment