Start a new topic

Violated Devices and Consequences not working

My son keeps deleting the family zone app and gaining access to his phone.     I thought family zone had fixed this and it goes into sleep mode?    I have turned on the consequences and he can still access his phone.   See attached how the consequences are set up. 

What is the point if my son can successful delete the APP?  Why can't family zone have a feature where they can't delete the APP without the parent putting in their pin number.

Am I missing something or wasting my money?

2 people have this problem

Hi Tamara,

We apologise for any confusion caused by our emails and activation process.

Currently our email alert regarding the device now being seen in the last 24 hours is informative only, in your situation. As you know the device is not being used, you do not need to worry about these emails. However, if you saw the device being used online and received the email, it would suggest that we need to investigate what is happening on that device.

I can see you have a Home Zone Box activated on your account, this is compatible with your new NBN connection and will still need to be connected to your modem in order to project the filtered WiFi network.

I believe we will be looking into how we can filter offline games at a future point in time however, I do not have an estimate on when this will be.

I have submitted all your feedback for review.

If you would like assistance connecting the devices at home to the WiFi and registering them to the relevant family member or discussing your situation in more depth, please let me know a convenient time and day and I'll be happy to arrange a call back for you.

Kate

I have a similar but not quite the same issue. I keep getting emails to say my daughter’s device is continually being violated. In stead we have discovered it to be needing to be re set up as for some reason it didn’t set up properly. I have just (finally) added her iPad to the mix and it too comes up as violated simply because the device froze (or was it the app?) when I went to allow the locations setting as the final step to having it fully set up. Is there a feature that we could have to allow the devices not being used to say so, without having the “something has happened to x’s ipad (etc)”. My son has not been using his iPad recently and so consequently I have red alert emails coming through saying as such. I would also like to know if there could be a “wireless” box released anytime soon? We have a situation where my husband has just connected us to NBN and the children now have both the old business Telstra internet aswell as their original one. It makes things extremely difficult to monitor internet times at home where the apps are not installed. I would love love love to have a feature on this wireless box that allows all offline technological activity to go to sleep also. Not everything kids do is online. They spend a significant amount of time playing app games such as mine craft and thought bubbles offline and late into the night. I would really love to have an offline monitoring feature somewhere in the mix also. It will help my family of ADHD kids cope so much better.

Hi Ben, 

Apologies, from the previous conversation I was assuming he had the App installed on his phone and we were speaking about additional devices.

If he has only the one device (being the iPad), and that no longer has the app or management profile, that will no longer have any filtering or restrictions. That would mean he has unrestricted access.

Perhaps this discussion would be easier to have over the phone. Do you have a convenient time and day in which we can contact you? Please provide it through support@familyzone.com.

Roze

But apparently the app insn’t installed - The alert email says it was removed. It appears he doesn’t have internet access at home . But is that controlled by the family zone box, rather than the app? I’m confused by your statement that he will have no internet access at school “so long as the app is installed” as a consequence of removing the app.

Hi Ben,

Yes. Your son should now be in 'sleep' as a result of the violation, which means so long as the App is installed on the iPad, would mean he has no internet access on his ipad both on the home network and on school wifi.

Roze

Thanks Rose. So I got another notification today that my son has removed the mobile zone app again. He did this while he was at school. Should his iPad now have no internet access from both our home family zone network and the school wifi?

Hi Ben,

The App can be removed with some intentional difficulty for the child, however parents are always notified as a result of this. If for any reason you have not been notified, please inform us immediately.

Sleep mode functions to turn off all internet at a designated time. This is also applied in a permanent state to all the childs devices when a violation has been detected. If your child has more than one device protected, the other devices will be effected as a result of this.

As for comprehensive ways to protect your child, under the Cyber Safety and Controls area, you will find Alerts and then Consequences. These are more severe punishments that parents can utilize if they detect violations with the service. This includes if they have a hazardous app on their device (such as a VPN thats not permitted by Family Zone) or if they App is tampered with.

Roze

My 14 year old son seems to have figured out to get past FZ restrictions as well. He seems to have removed the app and profile. I put him him in permanent sleep mode as a consequence, but I think he's getting around that. What exactly does sleep mode do anyway? It doesn't appear to to stop him using the device. I am overseas and trying to help my wife deal with this remotely. I just disabled the family network on the box in desperation as putting him in sleep mode doesn't seem to be working. Of course that's shut the other kids off the network as well. It would be useful to be able control access to individual devices on the box, to be able to just block them from the fz network if required. I used to do this via mac address on our old modem, but it's not very user friendly (every time you remove a device from the access list it "forgets" it so you have to add it again to re-enable it). I know he has VPNs on the device which I think he's using to bypass the FZ restrictions, and the restrictions at his school as well. I would appreciate some comprehensive advice on how do deal with the determined efforts of teenagers to hack their devices. I'd like to add to other commenters on the forum that time restrictions within a range would be extremely useful, like they can have access for a maximum of 2 hours between 8am and 9pm on weekends for example. We had this set up using Parental Controls on our old iMac, but the kids don't use that anymore now that they have iPads.

Ben

Hi Richard,

Our customer service team have scheduled a call with you.

Hope to resolve this for you soon.

Roze

I too have found my daughters phone (14 yrs)  to be unprotected too, and it says on the portal that it is fully protected.  I have checked her device taken it on and put it back on and the app is still on and says it is working as it should but she has 24 hour access expect when we take the phone off her for sleep period at 9.30. The phone monitors her BGL's so we can't just confiscate it.  The phone does not ask for an activation key. Should it. Please help. Ric I am at home 938978860

Hi Andrew,

There are telltale signs to the parents that a device violation has occurred:

1) The email notification sent through to the parent on the initial discovery

2) Notification that the device has not been seen in 24 or more hours
3) Notification within Portal that the device is not filtering

4) No usage in the insights area (which you have already stated)

While we have these in place, its also recommended to have a discussion with your child as to why they are removing it. We encourage open communication to help understand the childs' reasons behind trying to circumvent filtering technology.

Roze

Thanks Roze, as you've already stated above it is easy for the kid as the iPhone user to delete the app and stop the VPN, and FZ can not enforce Sleep mode. Yes it does alert us but by then he's deleted app/VPN so little benefit. Anyhow, as per the other users have noted this is just the way the FZ product is and maybe until Apple allow deeper MDM control it can't enforce Sleep after a delete/removal.

Hi Andrew,

If the Family Zone App isn't working as is stated above, then this is something we need to look further into for you.

We do have a variety of Contact Us methods that customers can utilize for more specific responses and troubleshooting. I highly recommend using these avenues to ensure your services are working appropriately.

Roze

I have had, and still have, the same non-working sleep function. My kids 12 and 14 can easily remove the app, and remove the VPN, and there are no consequences nor Sleep mode approved. What is interesting is that when I raised this with FZ some time ago they told me yes, that's the way it is. It took you lots of re-asking before Roze confirmed this 13 days ago. We also have given up on it for iPhones, but still use the wifi box at home to control laptops.

Hi Kylie,

Our Support agents are onto it.

Hope your issue is resolved soon.

Roze

Login to post a comment