Start a new topic

Violated Devices and Consequences not working

My son keeps deleting the family zone app and gaining access to his phone.     I thought family zone had fixed this and it goes into sleep mode?    I have turned on the consequences and he can still access his phone.   See attached how the consequences are set up. 

What is the point if my son can successful delete the APP?  Why can't family zone have a feature where they can't delete the APP without the parent putting in their pin number.

Am I missing something or wasting my money?

2 people have this problem

Hi there,

I am still trying to get this to work.   I have installed the box not entirely sure what the box is for still however are you saying we should change our normal wifi password i.e. optus one in our case?

I have a similar but not quite the same issue. I keep getting emails to say my daughter’s device is continually being violated. In stead we have discovered it to be needing to be re set up as for some reason it didn’t set up properly. I have just (finally) added her iPad to the mix and it too comes up as violated simply because the device froze (or was it the app?) when I went to allow the locations setting as the final step to having it fully set up. Is there a feature that we could have to allow the devices not being used to say so, without having the “something has happened to x’s ipad (etc)”. My son has not been using his iPad recently and so consequently I have red alert emails coming through saying as such. I would also like to know if there could be a “wireless” box released anytime soon? We have a situation where my husband has just connected us to NBN and the children now have both the old business Telstra internet aswell as their original one. It makes things extremely difficult to monitor internet times at home where the apps are not installed. I would love love love to have a feature on this wireless box that allows all offline technological activity to go to sleep also. Not everything kids do is online. They spend a significant amount of time playing app games such as mine craft and thought bubbles offline and late into the night. I would really love to have an offline monitoring feature somewhere in the mix also. It will help my family of ADHD kids cope so much better.

I have exactly the same issue. My son deleted the app and it has not gone into sleep mode. I am thinking this is a waste of money as I asked specifically about this as I had had this problem with the OurPact App and I was assured by customer service prior to purchase that this app was different.

Hi Moira,

Could you please specify which device you are referring to? There is an iPhone that has an alert next to it, but it has not been seen since the 4th of August. It would have gone into Sleep mode at the time, but it has now been two weeks since the event.

Please schedule a callback with our customer service team so we can troubleshoot your device.

Roze

Hi it is the iPhone with the alert next to it. My son went into the settings  profiles section and deleted the profile easily and it did not go to sleep at all just kept working, I called support and they said that was odd and would talk to the tech team and to reinstall. I did as instructed and the same thing happened again. 

I have just installed the box and worry that as soon as he unplugs it there will be no consequence or anything I can do. 

Also is it why can't the phone go on permanent sleep mode?   60 minutes is no help to me if my son disables his app at school and I am at work and can't sort out to the evening.   I would rather it goes on sleep mode until I can re-install the APP again?

Hi Richard,

Our customer service team have scheduled a call with you.

Hope to resolve this for you soon.

Roze

Hi Moira,

Could you please advise me when that occurred?

If he was to unplug the box but you have changed the modem wifi password, he will be without internet access.

Roze

Hi Tamara,

We apologise for any confusion caused by our emails and activation process.

Currently our email alert regarding the device now being seen in the last 24 hours is informative only, in your situation. As you know the device is not being used, you do not need to worry about these emails. However, if you saw the device being used online and received the email, it would suggest that we need to investigate what is happening on that device.

I can see you have a Home Zone Box activated on your account, this is compatible with your new NBN connection and will still need to be connected to your modem in order to project the filtered WiFi network.

I believe we will be looking into how we can filter offline games at a future point in time however, I do not have an estimate on when this will be.

I have submitted all your feedback for review.

If you would like assistance connecting the devices at home to the WiFi and registering them to the relevant family member or discussing your situation in more depth, please let me know a convenient time and day and I'll be happy to arrange a call back for you.

Kate

Hi Renae,

The Box will cover unlimited devices at home. That includes phones, laptops, desktops, consoles, and more. We have the Family Zone App as well, but not all devices have the ability to download apps (another reason why the Box is useful).

If the App is removed or disabled, the devices are put into Sleep until its reinstated. You can review these settings under the Controls area in Cyber Safety.

Roze

Hi there,

My son has managed to disable your app again.   He goes into iphone settings, General, VPN and turns off Connect on Demand.  When he does this have gains access to everything again.

He is also telling me he is doing something else to disable the settings however will not obviously let me know this! 

This APP is not working my 14 year can get round your settings?

Is anyone else having these issues or am I the only one?

My 14 year old son seems to have figured out to get past FZ restrictions as well. He seems to have removed the app and profile. I put him him in permanent sleep mode as a consequence, but I think he's getting around that. What exactly does sleep mode do anyway? It doesn't appear to to stop him using the device. I am overseas and trying to help my wife deal with this remotely. I just disabled the family network on the box in desperation as putting him in sleep mode doesn't seem to be working. Of course that's shut the other kids off the network as well. It would be useful to be able control access to individual devices on the box, to be able to just block them from the fz network if required. I used to do this via mac address on our old modem, but it's not very user friendly (every time you remove a device from the access list it "forgets" it so you have to add it again to re-enable it). I know he has VPNs on the device which I think he's using to bypass the FZ restrictions, and the restrictions at his school as well. I would appreciate some comprehensive advice on how do deal with the determined efforts of teenagers to hack their devices. I'd like to add to other commenters on the forum that time restrictions within a range would be extremely useful, like they can have access for a maximum of 2 hours between 8am and 9pm on weekends for example. We had this set up using Parental Controls on our old iMac, but the kids don't use that anymore now that they have iPads.

Ben

Hi Kylie,

Just wanted to clear up a few things. When the Family Zone App is removed from a phone, it should go into Sleep if the MDM profile still exists on that device. If the App and the profile is removed, then the phone will not be put into Sleep as the filtering is removed. However, all other devices assigned to that user should still be put into Sleep as a result of the violation. Its also worth noting that if the App is reinstalled before the time it takes to put the device into Sleep, the device is redeemed and therefore no consequences will be applied.

Is this different to what you are experiencing? If so, could you please email us at support@familyzone.com and we will work towards a resolution with you.

Red Alerts are designed to notify parents when devices haven't been seen when they should have been. For many parents, this can be concerning as they would be expecting device usage when there hasn't been any. We understand this doesn't apply to all parents, which is why we have also given them the option to turn notifications off. If you don't wish to receive Red Alert notifications whatsoever, you can choose to switch them off through Cyber Safety > Controls > Send Notifications.

Lastly, filtering is not required for parents devices, so you don't need to be connected through the App or Box.

I hope this assists with your experience and if you have any further questions, please let us know.

Roze

Login to post a comment