Start a new topic

You tube Cyber Safety

I have set up the user access for myself and my husband (obviously to 21yrs+) and it is blocking access to some content areas of You Tube, how can I stop this from happening?

Hi Melissa,

I've had a quick look at your account. There are quite a few things I'd like to address.

Firstly, your Family Zone Box was last seen online 6 months ago, so are you trying to connect through the App? Secondly, the only two devices I see listed are your iPhone and desktop. So could you please clarify how you are trying to access YouTube? Thirdly, you currently have your children on an adult profile, so we definitely want to change that!

Is there a good time for us to call you and configure some settings on your account?

Kind regards,

Roze K

I'm having trouble with Youtube, too. Over the last few days it has been blocking completely innocuous content, such as sermons and my kids' conditioning video that they use between circus classes. I get the message "This videso is restricted. Try signing in with a Google Apps account." Is this problem caused by Family Zone or a Youtube glitch? I can't see how to turn off restricted mode either within youtube or in the family zone dashboard. Youtube says contact your network admin, but I'm not on an external network.

Hi Claire,

Are you connecting through the Family Zone Box or the Family Zone App? Through the App, there is currently no way to turn off Google Restrictions. With the Box, you can disable Google Restrictions on the Family WiFi Network which will remove Google Safe Search and YouTube restrictions. Our categories will still ensure that inappropriate sites are filtered, but this way YouTube will be unfiltered. While Google Restrictions are on, YouTube content is quite limited as it is YouTube that determines whether the content is appropriate to watch.

If you need further clarification, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Roze K

Through the Box. Where do I disable Google restrictions? I think Youtube must be on the blink at the moment, because this level of filtering is ridiculous.
I'm connecting through the box.

Hi Claire,

In the Portal, go to Home Network on the left hand side menu then click on WiFi. View the Family Network at the top. Next to Google Restrictions (currently green and enabled), click so it changes to red and says 'disabled'. Make sure to hit save down the bottom.

Kind regards,

Roze K

Hi there,

We have just set up Family Zone on our sons phone - he is now complaining that he cannot access Formula 1 car videos, as You Tube content is classed as 'Restricted'.

We do not have the Family Box, only app on his phone.

How can we address this?

thanks,Lisa

Hi Lisa,

The Family Zone App currently does not have the option to manually turn off Google Restrictions. Our developers are already working to implement this feature. In the meantime, our Box does have this capability. 

Kind regards,

Roze K

Hi there,

Can the youtube restrictions be turned off based on the age profiles? I am connected using the wired connection through the box.

Regards,
Brett

Hi Brett,

Currently YouTube restrictions can be turned off by disabling Google Restrictions on the WiFi page. In the Family Zone account, on the left hand menu go to 'Home Network' and then 'WiFi'. Select disable for Google Restrictions.

We currently don't have the ability to turn it off for each individual profile, however this is coming soon.

Kind regards,

Roze K

Hello,

How do I block specific sites?  I am happy to give access to the unfiltered network while I am in the room, however when I am elsewhere I would like the filtered network to block access to specific sites like youtube.  I have gone to the portal and controls and sites and added youtube there to be blocked but it is still coming up.

Hi Kylie,

To block specific sites, you can go to Cyber Safety, Controls, and then add specific sites to be blocked or allowed through here.

To ensure your networks and settings are correct, it would be best to do this over the phone. We can either schedule or callback, or you can call us on 1300 398 326. If you can advise us of a convenient time, I'll be happy to get it arranged.

Roze

My son is trying to access YouTube and can't based on his age. We only have the app. How do I fix his access through my iPhone or is this not possible??

Hi Melanie,

To check whether YouTube is blocked or allowed, you will need to access the Family Zone account. You can access the account from any device that uses an internet browser such as Chrome or Safari.

Once you're in the account, access Cyber Safety on the left hand side, then Controls. Under Controls there will be Social Networks, which has YouTube listed. Here you will be able to see what access period you'd like to block/allow for YouTube.

Hope this helps.

Roze

Login to post a comment